I’ve completed the basic track and wiring for the first section and started on the next. This Christmas I have as week off and not much to do so I hope to make great progress. I also got an incredible Christmas present, Could you belove a Broadway Limited Imports HO 2097 Centipede !!!! The prototype is almost 90 feet long. This is one huge engine from the peak of the early diseal erra (1943-1948). I was never expecting to run something this big but good thing I planned on min 24″ radius. Although the current section has a fairly sharp turn out which I’m reworking. Now that I have something huge like this to test with I can make sure atleast the mainlines will work, atleast 1 train at a time.
The main deck benchwork is largely complete. I’ve updated the layout to show accurate measurements of the 8 sections and adjusted the layout slightly. I expect now to put some work in
to redoing the layout diagrams to fit a better understanding of my workspace.
I’m also having a good time designing in 1:1 scale. I’m cutting out template track pieces in cardboard and laying them out. I get a lot better feel from that then lines on visio.
Benchwork is proceeding. Much trial and some error. Here’s some shots of the benchwork being built.
This weekend I begun benchwork construction. I’m following the design ideas from “How to Build Model Railrowad Benchwork” by Linn H. Westcott.
This will be primarily a “L-Lattice” open framework mostly attached to the wall (see 3D Model). Minimal attachments to the wall are ideal. I started putting up 6 foot pilasters (2″x2″) attached to studs every 3 studs with 5 3 1/2 ”
I’ve worked on a 3D model so I could visualize both the benchwork and the layout. This is particularly tricky for me while designing the “no-lix” grade track and figuring out how the benchwork would work in practice.
3D model in 1:16 scale of available room in basement
I’ve near completed planning my expanded railway. This will take up about 1/3 my basement approx 16″ x 18″.
This will be a multi-deck “around the wall” layout with a partial “no-lix” to get from the main deck to upper deck.
Here’s a first (discarded) attempt. Not shown are about 30 iterations before and after.
Here’s a more complete nearly final plan for the main deck. Black rails are ‘on the flat’ … blue is a 2% grade going to the upper deck.